Polyurethane is commonly used by manufacturers to preserve the wood and give it a glossy finish. However, just like other protective products, polyurethane can get scratched and damaged over time. Here are different methods you can use to remove polyurethane from wood.
How to remove polyurethane from wood
Method 1: Removing polyurethane from wood using baking soda and vinegar
If you don’t like using strong chemicals on your wooden products, you can use vinegar and baking soda to remove polyurethane.
What you need
- Baking soda
- Wire brush
- Two cups of cornstarch
- Boil water using the stove.
- On a separate bucket, mix one cup of cornstarch with half a cup of cold water.
- Next, add four cups of boiling water, one tablespoon vinegar, and ¾ glass of baking soda into the cornstarch mixture.
- Use the paintbrush to spread the mixture on the wood.
- Wait for the mixture to sit on your furniture for a couple of minutes, and then scrub the mixture off using a wire brush.
- After you start seeing the natural wood color, stop scrubbing and instead use fine-grit sandpaper to achieve smoothness.
Method 2: How to remove polyurethane from wood using citrus stripper gel
This method works best if you want to remove polyurethane from wood without removing the stain. Since you’ll be using chemicals, ensure you do it in a well-ventilated room.
What you need
- Citrus stripper gel
- Plastic scraper
- First, wear gloves and goggles and cover the working area using newspapers.
- Next, shake the citrus stripper before you pour it into a medium-sized container.
- Apply the gel using a paintbrush on the wood.
- Wait for some hours before you scrap the stripper off using a plastic scraper.
- After you finish scraping the wood, wash it using a paint stripper wash to remove all residues.
- Wait for your wood to dry before you refinish it.
Top Removing Agents
You need to be patient when removing polyurethane using the methods given above. Ensure you dilute the vinegar with water if you’re using it on furniture with oil-based coatings. You can involve an expert in case you experience problems.